I recently acquired one of Belkin’s new Skype Wi-Fi handsets and had an opportunity to conduct some testing. Overall, I am not happy with the results and have compiled a list of issues that I have identified.
I found a firmware update on Belkin’s site and applied it, hoping it would solve at least some of these problems. Unfortunately, it did not. There was not any documentation on Belkin’s site to explain what the update was intended to address but from what I can tell, it appears to have only added support for accessing the Boingo network (which cut a special deal with Belkin for a reduce monthly fee). So I’m disappointed that Belkin choose to issue an update that adds support for Boingo (there’s probably a financial incentive for them) but did not fix the other outstanding problems. Of all of the problems, I think the echo and the DTMF problems are the most serious.
Postscript 2: During a call in the second day of testing, the phone shut off by itself in the middle of a call. The battery level was not low and I was able to restart it without problem. Hopefully, this is not something that will reoccur often.